custom job scheduling

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: custom job scheduling
From: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:55:25 -0800
(I've used LVS some 6 years ago, now I'm back :-D)

I'm looking at this page...

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/docs/scheduling.html

...and I think the algorithms are pretty well explained. But what I need is to customize the job scheduling based on my own criteria.

E.g., I've a bunch of servers doing all of them pretty much the same thing and I want to distribute the load based on criteria such as:
- disk usage
- OS load average
- CPU usage
- custom hooks into my own software
- You Name It (TM)

This would require LVS to query the servers somehow (SMTP, ssh, or something like that).

Then, if I understand LVS correctly, a script should tweak the relative weights of each server.

Is that correct?
Am I missing something?
Any preferred algorithms for such a scenario?
Any issues with tweaking the weights all the time?
Any guidelines, best practices, common pitfalls, etc., when doing such a thing?

Thank you,

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/