Re: Limit

Subject: Re: Limit
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:45:05 +0100
Horms wrote:
On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 04:21:17PM +0100, Roberto Nibali wrote:
I personally believe that the sorry-server feature is a big missing
piece of framework in IPVS, one that is implemented in all commercial
HW load balancers.

That is true, but its also a piece that is trivially inplemented in
user-space, where higher-level monitoring is usually taking place anyway.
Is there a strong argument for having it in the kernel?

Yes, it won't work reliably in user space because of missing atomicity. From the point the user space daemon decides that it's time to switch over to the sorry-server pool to the actual switch in the kernel by modifying the according service flag, there's a couple of us to ms time frame in which the kernel TCP stack will happily proceed with its normal tasks, including service more requests to the previously elected service for sorry-server forwarding. This can lead to broken (half-shown) page views an the customer's side inside their browser.

In the field I had to implement load balancing, this was simply not accepted, especially because it irritated our customer's clients and also because everybody knew that HW load balancers do it right (tm).

YMMV and I still didn't sit down and forward port my code to 2.6 but I first need some interest by enough people before I start :).

Cheers,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc