Re: Ultramonkey mentioned in Mar 2007 LinuxJ, p48

Subject: Re: Ultramonkey mentioned in Mar 2007 LinuxJ, p48
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:00:47 +0100
Yoho Joe,

I would love to say that UM was mentioned in a competent context, but it's mentioned in an infommercial (presented as a technical article) on the "Coyote Point Equalizer" (p48). Since LinuxJ is a magazine targetted to technically competent GPL/opensource people I would expect that they'd at least tell you whether this was a proprietary box or not (it's proprietary, but you won't find out in this article). Even if the author doesn't think this is important to get this straight, you'd at least think that the editors would.

In my experience, the editors are always under pressure and the most they do is check if all the links referred to in the article work and that the text syntax and semantics do not deviate too much from the "Chicago Manual of Style" or Strunk's "The Elements of Style" (which I personally prefer and probably should consult again).

Sidenote: "Lapsing into a Comma" by Bill Walsh is an excellent read on 21st century publishing in America.

The infommercial is targetted to people who know nothing about load balancing (perhaps the author knows nothing about it either) and is mostly gee-whiz. He mentions Ultramonkey as an open source balancer, without mentioning LVS. I'm sure he doesn't know the difference. He says that the reason you'd want the $10,000 Coyote box with 20 NICs, rather than an opensource setup on a box with 2 NICs is performance. He doesn't compare the Coyote box with an opensource balancer running on the same hardware. Where are the editors here?

Smoking weed? Seriously: if you're featuring a product in your article, you'll hardly present other choices as superior solution to a given problem, right?

When LinuxJ last botched an article on load balancers, I wrote telling them that there were competent people available to review submissions, just by looking with google. They e-mailed me back saying something like "oh sure, we'll call you next time".

:).

I've been thinking of discontinuing my subscription to LinuxJ. This just about seals it.

Take it easy; I believe that if you use google.com for example, you tend to get more mis-information than by reading an article on an established magazine like LJ. YMMV though.

Cheers mate,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc