Re: SNAT Confusion

Subject: Re: SNAT Confusion
From: Janusz Krzysztofik <jkrzyszt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:19:45 +0100
Rodre Ghorashi-Zadeh napisał(a):
I am totally confused about the whole SNAT, snat_reroute, NFCT, etc. I have downloaded Julian's NFCT patch for my kernel (centos 4.4 2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp), patched/built/installed the kernel, echoed 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/conntrack & and snat_reroute, wrote an iptables rule that looks like this: iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp -s $MYIP -d $RIP --dport $SOMEPORT -j SNAT --to-source $DEFAULTGATE, sent the appropriate traffic that should get caught and manipulated by the previous rule, experienced no results ...

Exactly as I was before. Then I reread all Julian's writings on this matter and understood that saying SNAT he meant changing RIP source address back to VIP on packets traversing LVS-NAT director back to clients (OUT direction).

... does the patch provided by Janusz Krzysztofik at http://www.icnet.pl/download/ip_vs_dr-conntrack.patch allow you to at least do an iptables style SNAT to LVS-DR type packets?

Yes, exactly, and not only SNAT, but full conntrack as well. But please remember, this is my own solution, not supported by LVS people in any way, and not yet commented by them, so it may stop working for future versions of IPVS.

Julian, Joe, Horms, maybe others, could you please share your opinions on this matter?

Thanks,
Janusz