LVS-Tun with Windows 2003 server. No way to make it work with IP Tunelli

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVS-Tun with Windows 2003 server. No way to make it work with IP Tunelling ?
From: "Arief Setiawan" <aleifuu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:51:46 +1100
I have searched the mailing list for couple days just to find out that
Windows
2003 server no longer supports ip-in-ip protocol.. Guuh, .. perfect. Just
when there's this
need arises to config one as realserver + it sits on different network + I
don't
think LVS-NAT is an option #_#
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=280484

According to HOWTO:
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-Tun.html#non_tunnelling_realservers

(1) "ipip encapsulation is used when the realservers are at a remote site.
Methods of tunneling other than ipip exist (*e.g.* a VPN) if you need
geographically remote realservers"
and
(2) " We made a layer2 network spanned across geographical sites and moved
to DR balancing: everthing is much more easy to manage!"

In my case, I don't think (2) is an option either for the current network
configuration.
So I would really like to find out more about (1).

With alternative (1), Would IPSec tunneling for Windows 2003 server work
instead of ipip ?
I think IPSec tunneling involves setting up policy, some filtering, rules
between 2 nodes.
I wonder if this will affect director ( as the other node end ) to forward
the IP packet ?

Has anyone else made success stories from this particular Windows version /w
no ipip support ?

Thanks very much,
Arief