Re: LVS-Tun on pfsense ( freebsd )

Subject: Re: LVS-Tun on pfsense ( freebsd )
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 04:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Arief Setiawan wrote:

I'm not too sure how many people here are familiar with pfsense. but, basically it's a fw software that sits on top of a FreeBSD system.

OK. Don't know it, sorry

There are docos on setting up LVS-Tun on FreeBSD on HOWTO as well as in the mailing list. but I found that sometime they offer different settings for LVS-Tun. for example : are we using interface tunl0 or gif0 under FreeBSD ?

some are suggesting to put the VIP in lo0 as well as in tunl0. some are suggesting to set up IP-tunnel from linux box ( as director ) -> free bsd ( as real server ) and the other way around. I believe 'ldirectord' does the ipvsadm/ip-in-ip wrap internally

no. ldirectord is a wrapper around LVS that does failout. ipip encapsulation is done by LVS.

and send it to the realserver and hence there's no need to set a separate tunnel just for this, no ?

I've managed to setup LVS-Tun Linux ( director ) -> Linux ( realserver )
previously. and on Linux real-server
i'd just need to do the following ( this is after getting the director up
and using 'ipip' forwarding method ):

root# modprobe ipip
root# ifconfig tunl0 192.168.2.72 netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast
192.168.2.72 up

2.72 being the VIP address

I'm just wondering what would be the FreeBSD equivalent of those 2 commands?

for example, i can't create a tunl0 interface on FreeBSD.
ifconfig tunl0 create
ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument

I don't think the ipip device on *BSD is tunl