DNS problems solved

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DNS problems solved
From: "Simon Pearce" <sp@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:12:39 +0200

Some of you on the list might remember my problem concerning our DNS cluster
last year.

http://archive.linuxvirtualserver.org/html/lvs-users/2006-11/msg00278.html

These problems (DNS timeouts) have continued throughout this year and i have
been desperately trying to find the solution. I have been folowing the mailing
list and stumbled over the probems Adrian Chapela was having with his DNS
setup. Which brought me to the solution ipvsadm -L --timeout the default
settings for UDP packets was set to 500 seconds which should be changed. Which
is way to long the load balancers were waiting for 5 minutes to timeout a UDP
packet i get ablout 1500 queries a second. I changed the setting to 15 seconds
last week. And moved some of our old windows/bind DNS servers to the new linux
DNS cluster. Before i changed the timeout settings i always recieved a call
from our customers within two hours your DNS services are not responding
correctly. The IP's that refused to answer would always change i have 254 IP's
some of the large German dialup providers would refuse to talk to us which
resulted in domains not being reachable. Our DNS cluster is autorative for
about 250000 domains so you can imagine how many complaints i recieved. I was
about to give up and scrap keepalived i am so glad i did not. Changing the
timeout value solved my problems and i am a happy man at the moment. Is there a
way to set the timeout value permently so it is saved after a reboot of the
server? One last thing i would like to say is a big thank you to Graeme Fowler,
Horms, Adrian Chapela and Alexandre Cassen for writing this grat piece of
software. and anyone else on the list who maybe contributed to help me finaly
find the solution. Thank you guys you do a great job on the mailing list.

Happy Easter

Regards Simon