RE: Linux Director Minimum Requirements

Subject: RE: Linux Director Minimum Requirements
From: "Upblogger.com" <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:02:14 +0200
> What are the minimum requirements for the Linux Director server when
> using LVS Direct Routing?

>> It depends entirely on your proposed environment, but most current(ish)
>> machines will suffice with oodles of room to spare. The FAQ states that
>> it's possible to saturate 100Mbps ethernet with quite a basic system.

> Would this servers spec be enough?

>> Almost certainly.

> If the hardware is not a problem will the 1Mbps outgoing connection be
> enough?

>> Are you expecting more than 1Mbps of outbound traffic? What level of
>> inbound traffic do you expect, and how much inbound bandwidth do you
>> have? What outbound bandwidth do your realservers have? Do they share
>> the same pipe?

>> I think you'll find that pipe is your bottleneck. 1Mbps doesn't buy you
>> much these days.

>> Graeme

The Real Servers will have 20 Mbps and 30 Mbps outbound bandwidth. I'm
expecting the Linux director to handle 30-60k visits/day.

Since I'm planning to setup LVS using Direct Routing shouldn't all outbound
traffic go through the Real Servers leaving the 1Mbps Linux Director
bandwidth to handle incoming connections?

Thanks,

Antoni