Dead gateway detection

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Dead gateway detection
From: Peter Biggerstaff <peter.biggerstaff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:04:37 +1200
Hi all...

I am having problems with chapter 30 of the LVS howto...

I have:
1x VIP
2x load balancers (directors)
2x realservers (for now)

Everything works perfectly.. except, The realservers require the default
gateway to be set to the active load balancer.

so that works fine.. then I yank the network cable out of loadb1, loadb2
takes over the virtual ip.. BUT the realservers still have
loadb1set as the default gateway, so communication is lost between the
VIP and the realservers..

I just can't seem to find out a way around this.. I can manually reset
the gateway on the realservers to loadb2... but that takes time,
and if I scale up to 1024+ nodes, its going to get ridiculous...

I printed out chapter 30 of the LVS howto (LVS: Dynamic routing,
multiple gateways....)

and followed the instructions on that exactly, as it seems to be what I
need, here is what happens:

I started just past the first diagram ("The first step is to create a
working setup...)

I do that... it works fine

then I go to "Delete addresses on network interface using ipaddr" (this
works)
* create rules for each IP ip addr add.... (works fine)
* add default routes for each IP ip route add... (works fine)
* you are done all packets from 192.168.1.2 will go thru DIR1.... (seems
to work fine)

ok.. so I do all that as above, and everything looks fine.. the cluster
works, the routes are in place..
so that works fine.. but then I have the problem I described below, the
Direcotrs fail over perfectly
but the realservers don't use the second director... I thought all that
routing in chapter 30 would mean
that in effect the realservers would have 2 default gateways, and would
use whichever it could?

This e-mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
that is confidential and subject to legal privilege.  If you are not the
intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this
message or attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete this message.