Re: Linux Director Minimum Requirements

To: "Upblogger.com" <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Linux Director Minimum Requirements
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:32:30 +0900
On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 11:02:14AM +0200, Upblogger.com wrote:
> > What are the minimum requirements for the Linux Director server when
> > using LVS Direct Routing?
>
> >> It depends entirely on your proposed environment, but most current(ish)
> >> machines will suffice with oodles of room to spare. The FAQ states that
> >> it's possible to saturate 100Mbps ethernet with quite a basic system.
>
> > Would this servers spec be enough?
>
> >> Almost certainly.
>
> > If the hardware is not a problem will the 1Mbps outgoing connection be
> > enough?
>
> >> Are you expecting more than 1Mbps of outbound traffic? What level of
> >> inbound traffic do you expect, and how much inbound bandwidth do you
> >> have? What outbound bandwidth do your realservers have? Do they share
> >> the same pipe?
>
> >> I think you'll find that pipe is your bottleneck. 1Mbps doesn't buy you
> >> much these days.
>
> >> Graeme
>
> The Real Servers will have 20 Mbps and 30 Mbps outbound bandwidth. I'm
> expecting the Linux director to handle 30-60k visits/day.
>
> Since I'm planning to setup LVS using Direct Routing shouldn't all outbound
> traffic go through the Real Servers leaving the 1Mbps Linux Director
> bandwidth to handle incoming connections?

If you are using direct routing then the real servers will
not send responses via the linux director. But they will
still need to send them to the end-users somehow.

If you only have a 1Mb link from the outside world that
is used by the linux director and the real servers, then
its going to be used for the return traffic. If the 1Mb
link is only used by the linux director and you have a separate
link for the real servers, then the separate link will be
used for return traffic.

--
Horms
  H: http://www.vergenet.net/~horms/