Re: Does Persistence Override Availability?

Subject: Re: Does Persistence Override Availability?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:51:40 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 15 May 2007, Robinson, Eric wrote:

We turned off one of the servers and now it looks like this, which is
expected:

how did you turn off the server? set the weight to 0? power down the server?

[root@lb1 ]# ipvsadm|grep 3008
TCP  extrovert.mydomain.com:3008 lblc persistent 360
 -> appftp2.mydomain.com:3008     Masq    0      0          3
 -> appftp1.mydomain.com:3008     Masq    1      2          6

However, users who were connected to appftp2 got "page could not be
displayed" errors, which tells me that LVS is was still directing
traffic to the down server.

the expected result of using persistence.

After a while, the situation cleared up. I assume this is because
ipvsadm started directing traffic to the up server.

well yes, but only because clients no longer had connections open to appftp2

Does anyone know why this would be happening? Is my persistent=360
statement causing ipvsadm to ignore the down state of the realserver?

persistence doesn't care whether the realserver is there or not (neither does ipvsadm). If you use persistence, you are guaranteeing to the client that the realserver will be there for 360 sec after the last client has closed their connection.

If you just want a client to always go to the same realserver, try the -SH scheduler.