Re: [lvs-users] Need help determining if LVS is for us

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Need help determining if LVS is for us
From: Rio <rio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:40:51 -0400
On Thursday 21 June 2007 09:39, Malcolm wrote:
> Rio,
> > If so, is there a 'best model'? I suspect the NAT model would be what we
need.

> Or do the NAT on your firewall and use DR.

will research that.

> > The control box would be a 2 processor dual-core opteron so it effectively
> > would have 4 processors and maybe 8gb or more ram.
> >
> Good grief! Why not just use 2 servers  P4, 1GB RAM (or less) control
> boxes as a high availability pair?

i found out from another message that the director does not need a lot of
horsepower, so I will plan on two single processor 1G ram machines which will
handle enough connections for a long time before they need upgrading and then
it will just be more ram or a second processor. heh they will probably turn
to dust before they need updating anyway :)

> > Do you think we could get away with one 'control' box considering the
> > bandwidth usage? All internal networks are gigabit. If needed we can
easily
> > feed the control box via more than one 'public' interface separated by
> > networks.
> >
> DR yes, NAT probably you said 70GB/mo each? doesn't sound a lot and
> doesn't mean much how many GB/s & connections/s?

i was referring to a few of the more busy websites. generally our fastE
internet connection averages a continuous 5 to 7 MB/s, 24/7 with lots of
peaks from there, some as high as 20MB/s. abouit 70% of this comes from
services, the rest from dedicated connections. we consider the average just
mentioned the 'background noise' that we count from :)