Re: [lvs-users] MAC aliases on a NIC!!

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] MAC aliases on a NIC!!
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 09:56:01 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Ramsurrun Visham wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I wanted to know if it is possible to have a NIC respond to two
> different mac addresses. Just like a NIC can have 2 virtual IPs or
> aliases, can we have the same for MAC addresses? Is this possible?

Not much of an expert on this I'm afraid.

Some (most?) NICs as of quite a while ago (5,10?yrs) can
have their MAC addresses changed. I haven't heard of a NIC
having two MAC addresses. There are public and private MAC
addresses just like there are public and private IPs, but I
don't know that that helps you. I think there was a scheme
where MAC addresses could be shifted from one NIC to
another, for failover, but this was only for a limited
number of NICs, so I don't think the scheme went anywhere.
Whether the NIC had two MACs or not in any of the states I
don't know.