[lvs-users] Question About LVS Limits

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Question About LVS Limits
From: Joseph Hardeman <jwhardeman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 07:36:11 -0400
Greetings,

I am hoping that someone will be able to answer a couple of questions
for me regarding possible limitations of LVS Director through put and
number of Real Servers a Director can manage the traffic for.

We have a Director -> Real Server gated setup.  With adding more real
servers we are going to have to possible go to a NAT setup.

Has anyone done any stress testing to see how many connections (active
and inactive) that a Director can handle at a single time per port
handled? (our Directors are setup on Dell 850's Dual Core CPU, 2G of
Ram, using Internal Gig Nics)

Also is there a limit to how many Real Servers can be behind a Director?

I have heard that after 20 or so Real Servers LVS Director starts having
issues and I wanted to check with the List to see if anyone else is
running anywhere near a 100 or so Real Servers behind a Director and if
there is any special considerations I need to have.  While the Directors
are handling the traffic for my different networks with little or no
issues right now I am concerned if we get a couple of new contracts and
our real server count goes from 10 web servers to 80 web servers in a
very short time span will the LVS Director be able to handle the load of
several million people connecting via port 80 and 443.  Unfortunately I
do not have the resources currently to perform any stress testing to
this level.

Thanks in advance.

~~joe