Re: [lvs-users] Question About LVS Limits

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Question About LVS Limits
From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:32:55 +0200
Hi!

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> > I am concerned if we get a couple of new contracts and
> > our real server count goes from 10 web servers to 80 web servers in a
> > very short time span will the LVS Director be able to handle the load of
> > several million people connecting via port 80 and 443.
>
> The director is just a router with slightly strange rules.
> It's just forwarding packets and all it's concerned with is
> bandwidth. I wouldn't expect it to cause any problems
> However I don't know of anyone running 80 realservers with
> millions of connections.

For our largest (in terms of objects) balancer: 245 Realservers
in 60 farms. I don't have traffic figures for individual
balancers, but we're running about 700 realservers in about 150
farms. We've handled in excess of 300 Mbit/s incoming traffic,
25k new connections/s, 200k packets/s easily (outgoing is unknown
currently, but for a DR setup, it doesn't really matter).

For the rest of the figures: when I speak of one balancer, I'm
actually talking about a pair of machines which are connected
to our switching infrastructure redundantly. Still, the members
of pairs are capable of doing their job alone (so this redundancy
doesn't enter into the performance figures).

Our current setup is four balancers, one Opteron-2.6 (dual
dualcore since it's our standard machine, one dualcore would be
plenty enough, IMO) and three Xeon-2.8 machines. The latter
machines will be replaced by an d/d Opteron-2.6 if all the tests
work out ok.  Software involved is Linux 2.6.19.2 and keepalived
1.1.13. We're currently also looking at ldirectord - final tests
are scheduled after the two weeks off I'm currently enjoying.

All that said I figure that the NICs and the I/O to those NICs in
the balancers hardware are more important than RAM or CPU
performance-wise. Save on the performance figures and get
rock-solid hardware with a good warranty/service plan and/or get
a cold spare to go with two-balancer setup.

Regards,
Tobias
--
In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes.