Re: [lvs-users] LVS-NAT simple (?) setup not working in mysterious way?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-NAT simple (?) setup not working in mysterious way?
From: Steve Wray <steve.wray@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:58:06 +1200
lists wrote:
> Steve,
>
> The joy of banging ones head against a wall :-).

It feels great when you stop...

There was nothing wrong with my LVS-NAT config in the first place.

> You don't have an internal VIP or floating IP. (you need one)

I tried both; with one director only and one realserver only and with
two directors and a floating IP.

The config I posted initialy to the list was with two directors and a
floating internal IP for a default route plus a floating VIP.

As it turns out, there were two issues here.

On the one hand, Joseph hadn't actually verified that my config was
faulty. I think he had assumed that I hadn't read the HOWTO and he
dismissed my problems as lack of understanding of LVS-NAT.

So there was no reality check to tell me 'yes your config makes sense,
should work, something else must be wrong'.

On the other hand, I omitted to mention that I was running this in XEN
virtualisation. I read through the mailing list archives several times
and caught this after posting to the list and having forced myself read
through the archives yet *again*.

The two sets of LVS-NAT config files which I posted to the list were
quite correct and would have worked, something Joseph might have noticed
had he glanced at them.

Once I fixed the TCP checksum issue on the realservers everything came
right:

http://archive.linuxvirtualserver.org/html/lvs-users/2007-08/msg00075.html