Re: [lvs-users] arp problem with 2.6.X red hat kernels?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] arp problem with 2.6.X red hat kernels?
From: Dan Yocum <yocum@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:18:58 -0500

lists wrote:
> Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>>> # horm's tranparent proxy for LVS
>>>
>> doesn't work anymore.
>>
> iptables REDIRECT (horm's method) still works on the real servers (not
> sure it ever did on the LVS host.)
> It has more latency than the modern 2.6 sysctl way though.

Oh, interesting.  arp_announce and arp_ignore.  Thanks for the hint.
Ah, but those are only for physical interfaces and will even affect
so-called virtual interfaces (i.e., eth0:0).

How much more latency are you talking about?  Using horm's method I was
able to transfer 9.8Gbps through a whole bunch of gridftp servers back
in '05 and the traffic on the director only increased 100-200kbps.
Granted, latency != throughput, all the time.

Ah, yes, now I'm starting to remember why horm's wrote the transparent
proxy stuff: arptables still wasn't available in RH kernels.  Now that
it is, I may look at.  But, I'm rather happy to keep my transparent
proxy stuff in iptables from days of yore, if it works.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Yocum