[lvs-users] different algorithms and persistence

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] different algorithms and persistence
From: Nikolaj <lorddoskias@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 00:03:19 +0300
Hello all,

I have some problems understanding the persistence with the different
scheduling algos. First let's start with RR and LC:

When one requests a resource using one of the two algorithms it will get
  routed to some of the real servers. And what will happen to any
subsequent TCP packets belonging to the same connection? For example if
we log on a web server and on any subsequent request we want to hit the
same server where our auth info is.  How is this achieved?

Now about the source hashing and destination hashing. Source hashing
refers to which source ip? The client's? And the destination? Isn't the
destination ip always the same - the virtual ip?

 From what I have read the locality based algos are based on some sort
of  hashing mechanism that hashes the client ip address and so a  client
is always sure to hit the same server on any subsequent requests. Have I
understood well the conception about the LC.

I think more distinct and precise information should be entered in the
LVS howto. Also a separate section covering the scheduling algo will be
a good addition to  the howto.

Regards, Nikolay.