Re: [lvs-users] 2 Quick Questions

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] 2 Quick Questions
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:06:47 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Robinson, Eric wrote:

> 1. I've notice that when ldirectord checks to see whether RealServers
> are up, it uses the node's physical IP address as the source. This
> complicates our business partner VPN configs. Is there a way to make it
> use the virtual IP address instead?

yes. my ancient configure script does that (it only sets up
realservers and not failover directors, so no-one uses it
anymore). AFAIconcerned, this is the only way to do it,
since you don't have to get your service to listen on the
RIP as well.

You ssh from the director to the RIP and run a test on the
realserver for the service of interest. I use multiscan (see
sourceforge for this general purpose service tester - it's a
bit old now, but services haven't changed).

director:# ssh $realserver_name '/usr/local/bin/multiscan -t $vip'

multiscan returns the ports open and you can grep for your
service. This isn't as stringent a test as requiring the
service to return a valid string from a query, but it was
good enough for me. You could substitute mon or your own
test for the service.

> 2. Is there a hard limit to the number of virtual servers?

a virtual server is a VIP;port. Is that what you're asking?

> Right now I'm running 50-60 of them and the LVS machine is
> not working especially hard. It's using about 500MB RAM
> and runs at less than 10% average CPU.

the limit is the amount of memory used for connections, not
the number of virtual services, it's about
116bytes/connection.

> Sorry about the following disclaimer. It's appended by the corporate
> mail server...

I have one of those too, but I can get out to my personal
account from work and look like a normal person.