Re: [lvs-users] Problem with ghost connections

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Problem with ghost connections
From: Ruben Laban <r.laban@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:38:00 +0100
On Friday 09 November 2007, Ruben Laban wrote:
> > > What could cause entries in the IPVS table to remain in
> > > the established (or any other) state even though there is
> > > no traffic flowing between the CIP/VIP/RIP?
> >
> > neither end has closed the tcp connection?
>
> That's one very likely scenario. We're using LVS-DR so the director only
> sees half the traffic. Except you'd think (or atleast I do) that after a
> given timeout period, the entry would be purged eventually. I just checked
> the IPVS table on our backup loadbalancer, and it had ~125000 entries! Of
> which ~6000 with state ESTABLISHED. The last failover occured october,
> 23rd. I'd think those entries should have expired by now?

Just tried to flush those entries by unloading the kernel modules. So I issued
a 'rmmod ip_vs_wlc ip_vs_wrr ip_vs'. It unloaded the first two modules just
fine, but now the machine is hanging on unloading the "ip_vs" module. Either
this is not supported or there's something wrong with our installation. The
rmmod process is using 99.9% (on a HT enabled system, so the totals in 'top'
sho 50% idle and 50% system interrupts). Is there a better way of flushing
the IPVS table?

Regards,
--
Ruben