Re: [lvs-users] No Application data in LVS

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] No Application data in LVS
From: Michael Schwartzkopff <misch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:49:47 +0100
Am Montag, 26. November 2007 11:33 schrieb Graeme Fowler:
> Hi

(...)
> > When I telnet from a client to the virtual server address I see:
> >
> > ---
> > Connected to 192.168.188.101.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > But no login line. The same with HTTP protocol. No Application data are
> > displayed in the client.
>
> For HTTP there is no application banner - you connect, you send
> something like "GET / HTTP/1.0" and hit return, twice.

Did it. Nothing happens. Brwoser says "timeout" and manually retrieving the
site gives no output on the client. In tcpdump on the client side (!) I see
the following:
Client -> Server: GET / HTTP/1.0
Server -> Client: Seq=1 Ack=17
Client -> Server: HTTP Cont "\r\n"
Server -> Client: Seq=1 Ack=19
Server -> Client: HTTP "Contents of the page"
Server -> Client: HTTP Cont "Contents of the page", 3 times
(After one sec)
Server -> Client: HTTP TCP retransmission, going on.
It seems the the data is not received by the client and not ACK are sent by
the client. This is kind of strange, since this tcpdump is gathered from the
network interface from the client.

> What happens (using HTTP, ie. port 80 instead of telnet, port 23 in LVS)
> if you point a web browser at your VIP?

Timeout.

> Note also that your client *must* be on a different network to your
> realserver for NAT to work. There are some additional, complex ways to
> make it work if the clients and realservers are on the same network (IP
> network, that is, ie. in the same broadcast domain).

TCP Syn, Syn ACK, ACK (3-way handshake) works. So NAT shold work in my
environment.

> Graeme

Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH
Addresse: Bretonischer Ring 7; 85630 Grasbrunn; Germany
Tel: +49 - 89 - 45 69 11 0
Fax: +49 - 89 - 45 69 11 21
mob: +49 - 174 - 343 28 75

mail: misch@xxxxxxxxxxx
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42