Re: [lvs-users] Connecting directly to realservers in a one-network LVS-

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Connecting directly to realservers in a one-network LVS-NAT
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:41:10 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Ben Hollingsworth wrote:

> Apparently, the forwarding rules get first dibs.

Thought about this a little bit. ip_vs running on the
director will look up its connection table. Unless the
packet RIP->CIP belongs to a connection that ip_vs knows
about (specified by among other things CIP:port), then ip_vs
will ignore the packet, which will then be picked up by the
forwarding rule. ip_vs doesn't pick up packets from
connections initiated from the realservers (realservers
can be clients of services which have nothing to do with the
functioning of the LVS).

In this case, you should be able to connect CIP<->RIP on a
one-network LVS-NAT (even though the packets will take a
tortuous path due to redirects being turned off), as ip_vs
will ignore these packets.

However for me, on what would have been a 2.0 or 2.2 kernel,
the connection from CIP->RIP hung and the HOWTO contains the
screen dumps of what happened. I then give an explanation,
without checking that it is the explanation. This
explanation is at odds with my statement in the first para.

I'm stumped.