[lvs-users] LVS in an Active/Active configuration

To: "LinuxVirtualServer.org list." <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS in an Active/Active configuration
From: Matthew Crocker <mcrocker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:54:40 -0500
Hello,

I used to run LVS on a cluster years ago,  in fact the cluster is
still running but I haven't been keeping track of the progress for
LVS.   I'm putting together a new cluster and would like to have it
setup with active/active directors instead of active/passive.

Does anyone have a working configuration using LVS-NAT & active/active
directors?  Assuming I have 2 directors and 4 real servers.  Traffic
is load balanced via per-flow CEF to each director and each director
then load balances the traffic to one of the 4 servers.   How do I
configure the real servers to send the returning traffic through the
correct director so it can follow the NAT tables?  Or, with the LVS
directors syncing their connection maps does it even matter?

Example:

Connection 1:
Inbound TCP SYN:  Client 1 ->  LVS1 -> Real Server 1
Outbound TCP ACK:  Real Server 1 -> LVS1 -> Client 1
Inbound TCP SYNACK: Client 1 -> LVS1 -> Real Server 1
[IMAP session follows]

Connection 2:
Inbound TCP SYN: Client 2 -> LVS2 -> Real Server 1
Outbound TCP ACK: Real Server 1 -> LVS2 -> Client 1
Inbound TCP SYNACK: Client2 -> LVS2 -> Real Server 1

How do I configure the real servers with multiple default routes so
they know how to send the response traffic back?
Can this be done?

I suppose I could have the directors NAT the source IP as well as the
destination IP so the real servers think all connections are coming
from the private IPs of each director.   I do that now with my VoIP
Session Border Controllers.   It is a pain to track down the real IPs
of clients and would eliminate any SMTP-RBL capabilities on the real
servers.  I wouldn't need any default routes on the real servers with
this setup because all traffic will appear a local traffic.

-Matt