Re: [lvs-users] SuSE Linux with LVS and Heartbeat

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] SuSE Linux with LVS and Heartbeat
From: Michael Schwartzkopff <misch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:40:11 +0100
Am Sonntag, 6. Januar 2008 16:38 schrieb John Moore:
> HAVES:
> 2 Servers running dual proc PIII with 2+ GB ram and a single nic on each
> (Gig network)
> SLES 10 (suse linux enterprise server 10.0) on each server
> Each phy server running 4 xen servers
> Servers are on the DMZ (192.168.3.x) network
>
> WANTS:
> I want a single virtual IP (192.168.3.2) that the 2 phy machines
> (192.168.3.4 and 192.168.3.5) use to redirect any service request (such as
> proxy or web) to my 6 xen machines that will be on the same 192.168.3.x
> subnet and respond directly to the client.  I want to use lvs-DR as my
> protocol of load balancing.
>
> QUESTIONS:
> ~ Do I need 2 nics in each of my phy servers?
No need, but strong advice to have.

> ~ Has any one ever successfully set this up on a SLES 10 setup?
Did not do it myself, but should be feasable.

> ~ Do I even need Heartbeat to perform what I want?
If you want to have high availablility in case of failure of the director you
heed heartbeat. Otherwise on failiure of the director all services are not
available any more.

> ~ I have found no clear documents on how to combine both heartbeat and lvs.
The is a ldirectord resource agent in version 2.1.3 of heartbeat. So
1) start ipvs and state sync on both nodes.
2) Let heartbeat control the virtual ip address and the ldirectord.
3) Have fun when you see a download stopping for agout two seconds when one
node of the heartbeat cluster fails.

by the way: There is also a XEN resource agent in heartbeat. So you can
control your virtual machines from the cluster.

> Does any one have any clear instructions on how to configure and what
> hardware needs are?
See last points. Your heardware, beside the second interface seems to be fine.
Also use an additional heartbeat via serial interface.

> ~ SuSE has provided a GUI interface for the heartbeat side of things, Can
> any one provide me instructions on what needs to be edited via vi, and what
> can be done via the yast2 heartbeat mod and the hb_gui interface?
Use the GUI to play around and learn heartbeat. But do not get frustrated by
errors and failuries when working with the GUI. CLI works!
DO NOT USE the GUI in production environments!

Read:
http://www.linux-ha.org/GettingStartedV2

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch@xxxxxxxxxxx
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42