Re: [lvs-users] Load balancing outgoing traffic

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Load balancing outgoing traffic
From: Michael Gale <michael.gale@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:29:24 -0700
Hey,

        This is doable under certain conditions:

When using the TUN method and you have outbound proxies:

internal client --> LB --> web proxy ->> gw1,gw2,gw3

We currently are able to load balance out bound web connections from
internal clients who are browsing the internet using LVS and two
transparent proxy servers.

You need to do a few things on the LVS server:
1. Using ip route set it up so all traffic is delivered locally
2. Using iptables mark all incoming request
3. Setup LVS to load balance all incoming request with a fwmark ;)

Then your proxies server can cache and route external request to
different gateways or each proxy could use a different gateway or your
gateway device can load balance the external links on it's own.

You may be able to remove the proxies by using the LVS DR method ...
however I have not tested that.

Michael