Re: [lvs-users] Questions about getting started with LVS

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Questions about getting started with LVS
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 09:26:58 +0100
Hi

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 20:36 -0700, Rt Ibmer wrote:
> Hi - I just came across LVS and it looks like a great package. However I am a
> total Linux newb (coming over from a decade+ on Windows) and I must admit
> this is way way over my head so I'm trying to get my arms around it.  A few
> questions if you would be so kind:

OK, go on then :)

> For reference I am using Fedora 8 core on i386.

Great. It's all available to you as part of the distro.

> 1) According to the LVS web site and changelog it looks like the latest
> released LVS software is 3-4 years old.  Am I reading this right? The project
> seems very popular so I am thinking there may have been several updates since
> 2004/2005?  Am I missing something?

You have to understand that there are two parts to LVS - the kernel
modules (which actually do the work) and the userspace parts (which
allow you to configure it). The kernel modules get updated as and when
necessary - you'd have to look at the changelog at kernel.org to see
when that's happened, but the most recent changeset was put into 2.6.24
in November 2007.

> 2) I have absolutely no idea how to go about getting this installed and up
> and running on my Linux box, really.  This is despite having read through the
> documentation.
>
> It looks like I am supposed to start by getting "The IP Virtual Server
> Netfilter module for kernel 2.6". My my Linux box as root I did wget
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/software/kernel-2.6/ipvsadm-1.24-6.src.rpm
> to get this software.

You already have the kernel modules - Fedora includes them. You need to
install ipvsadm using Yum:

yum install ipvsadm

That gets you a basic set of tools with which you can make a lot of
stuff happen. If you want high availability, health checking, monitoring
and so on then you need some other tools to do that for you:

keepalived
ldirectord
heartbeat

to name but three.