Re: [lvs-users] Weird problem after realserver crashes

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Weird problem after realserver crashes
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 06:56:54 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Janar Kartau wrote:

> But lately one of the realservers crashed during the day
> and when it came back it was automatically added back to
> the LVS and all but no new requests were sent to it.
> Ipvsadm showed it had a lot of ActiveConn's and zero
> InActConn's.

I'm surprised that we haven't heard about this as a problem
before. A realserver crashing must happen often enough that
someone else has already seen this.

> These numbers remained the same for 10 or more minutes and
> then ActiveConn started decreasing slowly.

I thought the timeout were about 2mins. Would changing them
to 2mins help (it's one of the options to ipvsadm)?

> Once the ActiveConn was lower than the other realservers
> had, new requests started to reach the server and
> InActConn increased from 0. I could reproduce this later
> when i took a realserver down myself and noticed that the
> more connections there were during the crash and after,
> the bigger static count of ActiveConn's appeared for the
> crashed server once it came back. Neither LVS restart or
> "ipvsadm --zero" helped.

ipvs keeps its state tables so it doesn't mess with any
ESTABLISHED connections.