Re: [lvs-users] IPVS sync behavior

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] IPVS sync behavior
From: David Black <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:03:51 -0400
Well, I do expect the standby/backup to show them as active, because at
that point they've been replicated and are in IPVS's connection table as
ESTABLISHED.  :-)   That's until they time out.

Put another way: keepalived is using VRRP to manage the VIPs on the
primary/backup pair, but IPVS is active on both at the same time.   The
backup just isn't fielding any of the VIPs.    When I fail
primary->backup with a replicated connection open, the connection keeps
working but the connection still does not show up in the output of
ipvsadm -L.  However, it *is* there with ipvsadm -Lcn.

The way I think of it is ipvsadm -L output appears to show only
connections *started* on the given instance of IPVS, even though both
(replicated) IPVS instances know about each one.  However, ipvsadm -Lcn
shows both connections started and replicated from the failover
partner.  It's why they differ that at the moment puzzles me, and may be
just a matter of better understanding what ipvsadm -L is supposed to show.

Dave