[lvs-users] Internal address load balancing

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Internal address load balancing
From: "Sid Stuart" <sid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:27:21 -0700
Hi,

We are using Heartbeat/ldirectord to provide a load-balanced web service for
an external address. We have configured ipvs to use masq as the translation
mechanism and this is working well. One of the things (hacks?) we had to do
was create a blank heartbeat service so an internal address would float
between the two heartbeat servers to act as the default routing address for
the web servers.

He are using Heartbeat V1 style configurations files. The resulting
haresources file looks like,

lb1 172.16.1.2
lb1 226.236.50.228 ldirectord::www

The ldirectord files looks like,
virtual = 226.236.50.228:80
protocol = tcp
scheduler =wlc
real = 172.16.1.20 masq 5
real = 172.16.1.21 masq 5
request = "/.testpage"
receive = "test page"

We would also like to have internal servers access the same load-balanced
service. My first (naive) thought was we could use the external address from
the the internal systems. This ddoes not work though. When we try to open
226.236.50.228:80 from 172.16.1.30, the connection hangs. I am not sure
where the packets are getting dropped. The firewall rules allow the internal
network to send anything through the firewall, so packets should be getting
through.

Should this work? If not, is there a standard configuration for providing a
load-balanced servers for external and internal servers?

Sid