Re: [lvs-users] force sending gratuitous ARP

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] force sending gratuitous ARP
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:20:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 20 May 2008, samuel wrote:

> I have a simple 2-nodes heartbeat (version 1.2.3) topology and it has been
> working without failures for more than 2 years so let me first congratulate
> to all who contributed to this nice piece of software.

congratulations on setting up and maintaining an LVS all by
yourself.

> Yesterday we faced a problem where the passive node wrongly detected
> that node1 had failed (80% probability due to CPU load, but still checking
> connectivity) and started acquiring the resources (public IP and service).

this is the difficult split brain situation where neither
node knows the state of the other. The usual solution is for
one of the alive nodes to kill the other machine (STONITH)
bringing the other machine to a known state. Usually this is
via a forced power cycle, so you'll need a power switch/UPS
that can be tripped by a director (you can send a signal to
most UPSs via a serial port).

Another solution would be to get a faster director so the
two directors stay in contact.

> I would like to ask you whether it would be safe to add a
> feature in ip_start function of IPaddr script so everytime
> it is called, no matter if the node is holding the IP, it
> send the gratuitous ARP. This way our problem will not
> happen again because we automatically refresh the router
> ARP table whenever we call ip_start function.

this won't work if both directors have the VIP

> I know I have an older version of heartbeat, but it has worked so far pretty
> well and I would prefer to stay with it because our topology is simple
> enough (2 nodes active-passive) to be properly managed by this version.

I don't fix (upgrade) code that's working