[lvs-users] Increase the default connection hash table value

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Increase the default connection hash table value
From: hirantha <hirantha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 15:59:00 +0530
Dear ALL,

I have working configuration of LVS-DR on rhel5 with 5 real-servers web
servers behind it. The setup is perfect and working as expected. Now I
have seen there are certain amount of growth on web traffic to director
box (more than 3500+ accumulated connections Active/InActive)

I  am assuming  the connection hash table size (default size=4096) is
equal to number of client connections established+other state in the
director. So in this mind I'd  plan increasing connection hash table
size to 32768 (2^15) in following manner

Since I'm on redhat, download the ipvsadm-1.24-8.1.src.rpm
rpm -i ipvsadm-1.24-8.1.src.rpm

then there is a kernel patch ipvsadm-1.24-kernhdr-1.2.0.path in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCE and I change the value
+#ifndef CONFIG_IP_VS_TAB_BITS
+#define CONFIG_IP_VS_TAB_BITS   12
+#endif

+#ifndef CONFIG_IP_VS_TAB_BITS
+#define CONFIG_IP_VS_TAB_BITS   15
+#endif

and compile it with

rpmbuild -bb .../ipvsadm.spec

I installed the built .rpm package but I don't see any change in
connection has table value; It still the size=4096.

How do I change in the manner that redhat patch the kernel for LVS support.

Please advice where did I went wrong or do you think that I need to
re-compile the kernel and installed the ipvsadm..?

Thanks in advance
Hirantha