Re: [lvs-users] ipvsadm and packets leaving a gre tunnel

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] ipvsadm and packets leaving a gre tunnel
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:13:19 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Marco Lorig wrote:

> I found out something interesting:
>
> The Realserver is responding and transferring data correctly if the transfer
> is initiated by the client:
> "Client ->scp put file -> Server" works perfectly.
> "Client ->scp get file -> Server" still hangs.

hmm (don't have a clue at the moment).

are there any assymetries involved? Like a "get" needs to
open a connection (identd?) that "put" doesn't (I can't
imagine it, but something assymetric seems to be going on).
I don't expect there's any assymetry in the scp tcp
connection itself (it's just a single port connection, and
tcp won't know whether there's a get or a put going on
underneath).

I think you're using LVS-NAT, so you have the same route for
packets in both directions. Do you have any iptables rules
that might affect what's going on? (even so they're at the
tcp level and will affect a get and put the same).

And the problem is gre tunnel dependant? ie it works
fine if you have two directors connected by a regular
non-gre path.

Can you do try an alternate protocol to see if it's
something in scp? I hate to suggest ftp, since it's
problematic with LVS (it works OK if you set it up properly
- see the HOWTO - but it's easy to not set it up properly),
but I can't think of another protocol that's not based on
the sxxx protocol.