[lvs-users] Windows Server configuration example for one arm NAT (single

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Windows Server configuration example for one arm NAT (single network) works.
From: "Malcolm Turnbull" <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:24:30 +0100
I've been playing with one-arm NAT (single network) and noticed the
howto doesn't have a Windows example, so here what worked for me:

Route configuration for Windows Server with one arm NAT mode:

When a client on the same subnet as the real server tries to access
the virtual server on the load balancer the request will fail. The
real server will try to use the local network to get back to the
client rather than going through the load balancer and getting the
correct network translation for the connection.

To rectify this issue we need to add a route to the the load balancer
that takes priority over Windows default routing rules.
This is a simple case of adding a permanent route:

route add -p 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 metric 1

NB. Replace 192.168.1.0 with your local subnet address.
The default route to the local network has a metric of 10, so this new
route overrides all local traffic and forces it to go through the load
balancer as required.
Any local traffic (same subnet) is handled by this route and any
external traffic is handled by the default route (which also points at
the load balancer).

--
Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull.