Re: [lvs-users] FIN_WAIT connection on DSR mode.

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] FIN_WAIT connection on DSR mode.
From: taqu <taqumd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:25:52 +0900
Hi, Malcolm

Thanks for usefull infomation.

> It doesn't take up much in the way of resources, although I seem to
> recall some discussion that this had recently raised from 128 bytes to
> 256 per entry?

It's good information that 'FIN_WAIT' entry doesn't consume much memory.

> That makes more sense TIME_WAIT is not usually seen much.
> FIN_WAIT means that the TCP connection has timed out (2 mins) but LVS
> will keep it in the table
> for the default timeout of 15mins.
I think FIN_WAIT means LVS waiting for FIN to sent from real server, because
 LVS can't see FIN packet from real server in DSR topology.
In viewpoint of TCP, FIN packet should sent from both client and server.
The FIN_WAIT is not clearly finished state nor timed out state, but in DSR
 topology, LVS should delete this entry because LVS can't see packet from real
 server to client.

And 'FIN_WAIT' entries remains for 120sec by default

[root@lvs1 ~]# ipvsadm -L --timeout
Timeout (tcp tcpfin udp): 900 120 300
[root@lvs1 ~]#

And after one request finished, FIN_WAIT remain 'tcpfin' duration in table.
I checked it by 'watch -n 1 "ipvsadm -L -c -n"'
* expire column indicate countdown timer for deletion of entry.

Is my understandig correct?

Taku.