Re: [lvs-users] Problem after power outage

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Problem after power outage
From: "Nicklas Bondesson" <nicklas.bondesson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 22:25:20 +0100
Hi Graeme,

> Are you 100% sure the firewall rules or a network
> misconfiguration aren't getting in the way?
>
> The most common flaw that causes this is a rule or route on
> the nominal master preventing it sending announcements, so
> the slave keeps transitioning.
>
> It's either that, or your system clocks are out of sync with
> each other.
>
> Graeme

We have rules on both firewalls looking like this, which I think should be
enough?

# accept VRRP sync data
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -s $CLASS_A -d 224.0.0.18 -p 112 -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -s $CLASS_B -d 224.0.0.18 -p 112 -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -s $CLASS_C -d 224.0.0.18 -p 112 -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -s $VRRP_BACKUPIP -d 224.0.0.18 -p 112 -j ACCEPT

Both servers are syncing clocks with a NTP server so this should not be the
culprit.

I also noticed that it was only the vrrp instances (vips) bound to a certain
nic that transitioned to master on the backup node. Could it be a buggy
driver or faulty hw? The nic is an onboard via velocity gigabit card. We
have three nics in each firewall and the other two are Intel cards.

Nicklas