Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord on multiple cores and multiple NICs?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord on multiple cores and multiple NICs?
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:19:45 +1100
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:54:54AM -0800, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Dan Yocum wrote:
>

> > Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> .
>
> > Au contraire.  numactl can bind a process to a specific CPU and shared
> > memory space.
>
> my mistake. I thought he asked if it was a good idea.
>
> You can bind an application to a cpu. Can you bind a kernel
> process like ip_vs() to a cpu?

IPVS is not a kernel process. It is part of the core kernel.
And it runs on multiple cores, just as the rest of the core kernel does
- assuming an SMP kernel.

As IPVS acts on packets, and packets come from network interfaces
(usually), some control over which CPU ip_vs is executing on can
be had by setting the affinity of a particular interface (PCI device)
for to a core.

--
Simon Horman
  VA Linux Systems Japan K.K., Sydney, Australia Satellite Office