[lvs-users] ipvsadm and linux-gate

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] ipvsadm and linux-gate
From: "Jean Daniel" <jeandaniel.browne@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:54:22 +0100
Hello,

I was trying to find if the ipvs features were exported to userland
through an API. I expected a libipvs library, but ldd showed that
ipvsadm uses no specific library except for the virtual shared object
linux-gate (I am still trying to figure what is this beast).

What principles drove the use of the linux-gate to access the kernel
module features, instead of using a library?

If I want a web administration console to IPVS, should I wrap the
ipvsadm binary into a python module before building web forms or
should I try to find how to use linux-gate from python?

My reflexion came from a wild comparison between linux-ha and the
glasshfish app server, on the grounds of ha features and
administration interfaces. Specifically this screencast on how to
build a clustered appserver attracted my attention:
http://blogs.sun.com/jclingan/entry/glassfish_clustering_in_under_10

Cheers,