Re: [lvs-users] slow rsh login

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] slow rsh login
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:56:12 +0000
On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 09:40 -0600, David Merhar wrote:
> - RHEL5.2 (but configured from here,
> http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/mini-HOWTO/LVS-mini-HOWTO.html#example_lvs_dr
>
>    EXCEPT echo "1" > */arp_ignore ----- not "hidden")
> - ssh works fine.
> - delay is always 30 seconds.
> - rsh functions fine once logged in.
> - successive rsh logins are all delayed.
> - xinetd has been recompiled without libwrap

This is almost certainly a DNS timeout. Put the calling host into the
hosts table on the rsh server and see what happens, or ensure that it's
got a valid PTR.

the rshd man pages say:

4. The server checks the client’s source address and requests the cor-
   responding host name (see gethostbyaddr(3), hosts(5) and named(8)).
   If the hostname cannot be determined, the dot-notation representa-
   tion of the host address is used.

I'd put money on the rsh server not being able to get a valid hostname
for the calling host.

Graeme