[lvs-users] FQDN as Real Server reference

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] FQDN as Real Server reference
From: Stjohnson <slists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:30:33 -0600
Hello,

I have a question about LVS. I¹m working on setting up a load balanced
solution that will do routing/NAT, so that the lVS is a hairpin or
termination point for VIPs, which will then source NAT requests to real
servers. So far so good, not a big challenge as I  read the docs.

But for the round robin association to real servers, I need LVS to do a DNS
query to a list of real servers referenced by DNS name rather than IP. Then
based on the result of DNS, goto that IP that time for the real server.

VIP: VIP.1
    real-server: host1.dns.com (not an IP)
    real-server: host2.domain.com

Does LVS have the capability to have a FQDN as a real-server? And if so, is
there any config for caching? Ideally, I want a DNS query each time a VIP is
hitting the real-server pool, so that it always gets the latest info from
the DNS server.

Thanks for any insight!

-steve