Re: [lvs-users] Trouble getting first LVS setup working

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Trouble getting first LVS setup working
From: "Chris St. Pierre" <stpierre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:53:15 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Graeme Fowler wrote:

> What that lot does is puts the VIP on the director's live interface and
> sets up the ipvs table, then you put the VIP on the realservers'
> loopback adapters and ensure that the realservers don't send ARP
>
> Hopefully you'll then see a fully-working LVS.

$beers_i_owe{'graeme'}++;

Awesome!  It works!

With a working config in hand, I looked into getting it working with
pulse.

I compared the output of 'ipvsadm -L' after entering the literal
commands you gave me, with the output having started pulse with my
afore-pasted config file; there's a fairly substantive difference, but
I'm not sure how _important_ it actually is.  Namely:

Graeme's working config:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
TCP  cluster-test6.NebrWesleyan.e rr
[...snip...]

My non-working config:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
FWM  100 wlc

That pretty well explains why it wasn't working: my config had
'fwmark=100' in the config, left over from the sample config I
cannibalized, although I wasn't using (and wasn't planning on using)
firewall marks.  I removed that line, and suddenly a) 'ipvsadm -L'
outputs matched; and b) the balancer worked with the pulse service.

Woot!  Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University