Re: [lvs-users] what is the max throughput LVS can handle, and max numb

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] what is the max throughput LVS can handle, and max number of concurrent connection?
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:55:21 +0100
Your figures sound very low.

We have several customers running at 10K/s+ on fairly stock 2.4 Kernel
and our newer 2.6 kernels have
also been tested at 50K/s (although it did have keepalive turned on,
we copied the published coyote point tests)
Also it was obviously with very small packets and throughput was about
850MB/s on gigabit.. i.e. saturated.
Just had a look, and the results without keepavlive were only 14K/s:
http://www.loadbalancer.org/whyr16.html

Willy has had HaProxy running at 10Gbs (large packets), I find it hard
to believe LVS would be slower....
I'd be happy to send you some of our load balancers to test
performance (feel free to publish to the list.)
Where abouts are you based?

Not sure we have ever tested for max conns, but the 50K/s test was run
for 4mins giving @10,000,000 connections.
Any results are pretty relevant as we use almost stock kernels.

2009/4/9 netadmin @dslextreme.com <netadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I setup a computer has two 1GB interfaces, doing NAT mode, when sending
> traffic to it from Load Runner to the server, I saw the traffic going up and
> down between 1000 to 1500 transactions per second, not very stable.  If I
> just use the same computer as router the traffic chart is much flat and get
> about 2000 transactions per second.
>
> I also tested the max concurrent connection using IXAX tester, it limited to
> about 3 million and no matter how much memory on the sytem, it will not go
> up.  The new connection per second rate is also about 6k/s.
> I also noticed 2.4 kernel LVS works better than 2.6 kernel on the same
> hardware, performance wise.
>
> >From those tests, I think there are some limit in somewhere, especially the
> trsanaction rate with and without LVS having that much differences.
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, netadmin @dslextreme.com wrote:
> >
> > > If I want to load balance 8GB/s throughput, can LVS do it and what kind
> > of
> > > system it will take?
> >
> > any system that can handle 8GBps thoughput
> >
> > > If the concurrent connection limit is 8 million,
> >
> > the connection limit is the memory/128bytes.
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > --
> > Joseph Mack NA3T EME(B,D), FM05lw North Carolina
> > jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant map
> > generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml
> > Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!

Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull.