Re: [lvs-users] LVS Logging?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS Logging?
From: Michael Nguyen <michaeln@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 16:03:26 -0700
Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Michael Nguyen wrote:
>

>> 1) If I leave the virtual alone for a while and come back
>> and try to make a connection, the connection times out.
>> If I keep trying, then eventually a connection will be
>> made and connections will be made successfully from that
>> point forward.
>>

> what does `ipsvadm` show when it's hung.

It shows this:

TCP  pop.sandycat.com:pop3 wlc
  -> web05.sandycat.com:pop3    Tunnel  100    0          1
  -> web04.sandycat.com:pop3    Tunnel  100    0          0
  -> web03.sandycat.com:pop3    Tunnel  100    0          0
  -> web02.sandycat.com:pop3    Tunnel  100    0          0
  -> web01.sandycat.com:pop3    Tunnel  100    0          0

Which looks pretty normal to me.  Again, if I keep hammering on it, this
doesn't *seem* to happen but my concern is that I don't understand the
problem (big surprise!) and that that's not the situation at all.

>> If no further connections are made to the virtual for a
>> while (maybe 30-60 minutes?) then it happens again.
>>

> have you handled the tcpip timeouts? People fall over these
> all the time and I can't see any good reason for them.
> (Graeme did come up with a valid counter example, but I've
> forgotten what it was.) Horms has said that he'd extend the
> timeouts to some really long time, but I don't know if this
> has been done.

Hmm...I don't think so.  Did I miss something in the HOW-TO?  Can
elaborate or provide a link?
>> 2) Which brings me to my second problem...  Where are the
>> logs for LVS?
>>

> lvs is kernel code. You don't really want it logging.
> However you can turn on debugging and that will give you
> more info than ever you'd want.
Fair enough, but I'm just so used to looking at logs to troubleshoot
problems.  I can go without.

Michael