Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord feature patch - add abilility to signal syste

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord feature patch - add abilility to signal system maintenance
Cc: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sean Millichamp <sean@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 12:04:43 -0400
On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 09:19 -0400, Geoff Harrison wrote:
> we actually use the existing infrastructure for this.  service checks
> go to a script that returns OK if the system is available for new
> connections, or doesn't if it is down
>
> for our mysql checks we do something like 'select * from
> ldirectord_pool where enabled=1' and truncate those tables when we're
> taking a box out for maint.

True.  However, while there are things I like in that approach I was
hoping to be able to continue using the built-in checks in ldirectord.
They are good enough for what we are currently doing and it (overall)
keeps things simpler.

My understanding it that you can't (for instance) run both a connect or
negotiate check and an external check for a single virtual service.

> however - it would be nice if we could do something like continue
> routing old connections...  but that would require something in terms
> of ipvs level support I'm thinking

Isn't that what quiescent=yes is for?  At least in masquerade mode (what
we use), when the weight is set to 0 ipvs continues to send existing TCP
sessions to that server.  We weight a server to 0, then watch to make
sure all of the connections have closed, then bring the service down.

Sean