Re: [lvs-users] Mysterious documentation

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Mysterious documentation
From: "L.S. Keijser" <keijser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 16:06:51 +0200
Hi,

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 06:53 -0700, Don Steiny wrote:
> I am doing DR and the ARP problem makes sense.   The part I still don't
> understand is "I need a public and private VIP."  The ISP I am using has
> assigned me some IP addresses.  I know how to use ifconfig to put
> multiple addresses on an interface, that is no big deal, but what I
> can't figure out is how to decide what IP address to use for the VIP.

Pick any public IP you have that's not being used for anything yet. You
say you have multiple IP addresses assigned to you by your ISP so that's
great. Use one for the IP that isn't already used.

> have looked up VIP and found many explanations, including ones that tie
> it to lo, ones that say that it does not need to be tied to an interface
> (and I don't know how to do that).  Unless it is one of the ones my ISP
> lets me use, then no one can get to me from the outside.  I need to both
> configure the machine and use it from outside the data center.  I have
> an IP address that I go into with ssh.  If that is my RIP, then what
> address should my VIP be?  Should I request an address from my ISP that
> I can use for the VIP and configure it on eth0?  Do I get an address
> from the ISP and have them configure the router so people can get to it?

Since you're going to use DR, you'll need to configure a loopback device
on your realservers (provided you're using a fairly recent kernel - see
the HOWTO for other solutions if this is not the case) that has the VIP
(the public yes, you're not using anything else on the director)
configured with a netmask of /32 and solve the arp problem (again look
in the HOWTO for methods per kernel) if they are running Linux.

This way the packets destined for the VIP get handled by the director
and sent to one of the realservers configured in the LVS table. The
realserver gets the Link Layer packet, sees its destination (the VIP),
recognizes that it has that ip configured (the loopback device), handles
the request (eg. a http request) and sends the reply back to the
src_addr (the client).

--
Léon