Re: [lvs-users] ipvs or apache/mod_proxy/mod_balancer

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] ipvs or apache/mod_proxy/mod_balancer
From: Olaf Krische <public@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:39:49 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for answering to everyone,

Malcolm Turnbull wrote:

> Usually we use Direct Routing mode with proxies(squids) because it is:
>
> a) source ip transparent
> b) return traffic doesn't need to go via the load balancer
> c) its fast

Okay, i will try this out. Tho, i am not a big fan of giving each squid an
IP. I do not own a big block.

I used to have a hardware loadbalancer, which owns the VIP. It would rewrite
the incoming packet by replacing the VIP with the IP of the chosen real
server in the LAN. And the real server then had to answer back to the
loadbalancer, so he can replace the IP of the real server with the VIP
again. It felt more...self describing and did not need a special
configuration on the real servers except the routing.