Re: [lvs-users] ipvs or apache/mod_proxy/mod_balancer

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] ipvs or apache/mod_proxy/mod_balancer
From: Olaf Krische <public@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 11:35:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hello again,

Joseph Mack wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Olaf Krische wrote:
>
>> Okay, i will try this out. Tho, i am not a big fan of giving each squid
>> an
>> IP. I do not own a big block.
> LVS-DR realservers have only private IPs

Your statement kept me busy, because the target is not to waste IPs from the
pool. :-)

Director:

(eth0): 192.168.2.10
(eth1) 72.14.147.10
(eth1:0) 72.14.147.200 (VIP)

ipvsadm -A -t 72.14.147.200:80 -s rr
ipvsadm -a -t 72.14.147.200:80 -r 192.168.2.11 -g

Real:

(eth0): 192.168.2.11 (RIP)
(eth1)  72.14.147.11 (from ip pool)
default gw 72.14.147.1
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 72.14.147.200 --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 80

Works perfect.

Now i reduce.

1)

I remove the IP from eth1 on the real server. As expected i lose the access
to the default gateway. OK.

2)

Something like that does not work either:

ifconfig eth1 0 up
route add -host 72.14.147.1 dev eth1
route add default gw 72.14.147.1

3)

I change the default gateway to the one responsible for the private network.
Since it does NAT and does not allow to pass traffic otherwise, it does not
work either.

4)

I guess i have either to change the rules on that gateway, so it does pass
traffic "from VIP to internet" without NAT.

5)

Or i create a new private network, which works on eth1 and having a gateway
there, which passes the traffic.

I dont give up yet!

(and iam not google, just used their IP as an example)