Re: [lvs-users] Lvs for multi-site/subnet terminal services

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Lvs for multi-site/subnet terminal services
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:46:47 +0100
On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 09:15 -0400, Paul Dickson wrote:
> The default gateway for the target servers is 10.14.3.1.  I'd prefer to use
> DR for performance reasons. Wading through the mini howto it looks like I
> need to have the VIP on the target servers as well.  The problem is they are
> on a different subnet so I'm not sure how to make that work.

They're Windows machines; you'll need to install the "Microsoft Loopback
Adapter" via the "Add Hardware" wizard.

You then configure that with the VIP and ensure that it has a /32
(255.255.255.255) netmask, either in the settings (Server 2008 allows
this I believe) or via the Registry (you'll have to Google for that
one).

The reason for this is that IPVS is a router - it shovels packets around
unaltered unless you use NAT in which case the destination IP is altered
on the way to the realserver, and the source IP is altered on the way
back to the client. In DR mode all it's doing is handing off packets to
a "next hop" - if that next hop doesn't know what to do with them,
they'll get dropped.

Good luck!

Graeme