Re: [lvs-users] How can I improve LVS performance?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] How can I improve LVS performance?
From: Paulo Rodrigues <paulo.s.rodrigues@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 23:49:28 +0100
Hello Graeme,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 10:10 +0100, Paulo Rodrigues wrote:
> > I've tried a few hosts, all giving pretty much the same results, in the
> same
> > subnet (195.22.4.22), in another subnet (195.22.17.11) and in a different
> > subnet but on the same switch (195.22.14.170), both on gigabit and 100Mb.
>
> For consistency, can you please do your tests again from a single test
> client host, preferably on a different network to the director and the
> realservers, but one which can reach both the director and realservers?
>
> Also, when you connect to the realservers directly are you absolutely
> certain that you're getting the same content delivered as when you go
> through the LVS?
>
> Regards
>
> Graeme

I'll have to change the network around to be able to do this, perhaps over
the weekend.

In the meanwhile, your words made me think of something else, I was certain
the delivered content was the same in every case, but the page is somewhat
large, around 110KB, so I repeated the tests with a tiny html page (80
bytes) and a tiny php (same 80 bytes but also connecting to a MySQL DB)
page; the same setup that serves 6000 large pages per *minute*, now serves
20000 tiny html pages per *second*, or 4500 tiny php pages per *second*.

The limiting factor seems to be, after all, the actual bandwidth. Part of
the network plumbing that I took for all-gigabit must be 100mbps.

LVS rocks, and I failed :)

Thanks for your help!
Paulo Rodrigues