Re: [lvs-users] Scalability

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Scalability
From: Jay Faulkner <jay.faulkner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:06:53 -0500
> We have lvs+ldirectord running with 87 virtual servers and 285
> realservers, and growing. Most of the virtual servers use checktype=3.
> (Pertinent global settings are: checktimeout=3, checkinterval=5,
> negotiatetimeout=3.)
>
> Performance is excellent on a dual-core 3.0GHz Xeon with 1GB RAM. Does
> anyone know where the practical limits of scalability are? Where should
> be watch for potential bottlenecks?

As far as scalability is concerned, the limit I've seen usually comes more from
the NIC usage -- hitting things like high softirq usage, things like that.
We're currently running around 2000 V_S, load balancing over 10,000 different
backend IP addresses, at a sustained rate of 500Mbit/s on a 2*Quad Core Xeon
2.5Ghz w/8GB of ram. Honestly, we could do it with less cores + less ram as
well.

If you have any specific concerns, feel free to ask :). We beat the crap out of
LVS (running it under keepalived), and I'm more than willing to help answer any
questions you might have.

Jason Faulkner
Linux Systems Engineer
Rackspace Email & Apps