Re: [lvs-users] Apparent MTU problem using LVS-DR and Windows 2003 RealS

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Apparent MTU problem using LVS-DR and Windows 2003 RealServers
From: Christopher Smith <csmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 03:54:13 -0700
> Just a momentary thought: if this is only occurring with "push"
> transfers to realservers, then there may be some object in the L3 or L2
> path which isn't capable of larger MTU and is disrupting the traffic
> flow.
>
> Are you, by any chance, using systems connected to a gigabit ethernet
> network? This sounds to me like a possible issue with jumbo frames not
> making it through something - or something like that.

The thing is the problem only manifests when the traffic stays wholly within
the vSwitch.  As soon as it has to touch some outside device, everything is
fine.

> Alternatively, have you switched off TCP checksum offloading? This has
> been the cause of some problems in the past.

Haven't looked at that, but surely if it can be made to work fine just by
separating the hosts with another switch, that's not the problem ?

--
Christopher Smith

UNIX Team Leader
Nighthawk Radiology Services
Limmatquai 4, 6th Floor
8001 Zurich, Switzerland
http://www.nighthawkrad.net
Sydney Fax:    +61 2 8211 2333
Zurich Fax:    +41 43 497 3301
USA Toll free:  866 241 6635

Email:         csmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IP Extension:  8163
Sydney Phone:  +61 2 8211 2363
Sydney Mobile: +61 4 0739 7563
Zurich Phone:  +41 44 267 3363
Zurich Mobile: +41 79 550 2715

All phones forwarded to my current location, however, please consider the local
time in Zurich before calling from abroad.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:   This email, including any attachments, contains
information from NightHawk Radiology Services, which may be confidential or
privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify NightHawk
Radiology Services immediately by forwarding message to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and destroy all electronic and hard copies of the
communication, including attachments.